What are Statistics?
- Describe the range of applications of statistics
- Identify situations in which statistics can be misleading
- Define "Statistics"
Statistics are facts and figures. For instance:
- The largest earthquake measured 9.2 on the Richter scale.
- Men are at least 10 times more likely than women to commit
- One in every 8 South Africans is HIV positive.
- By the year 2020, there will be 15 people aged 65 and over
for every new baby born.
However, statistics are not only facts and figures; they are
something more than that. In the broadest sense, "statistics"
refers to a range of techniques and procedures for analyzing,
interpreting, displaying, and making decisions based on data.